Welcome

Who am I? I am a wife, a mother and a woman on a search for her true self. This blog is a recording of my search, my experiences, and my own little quirks that I've decided to share with the world.

I am also unemployed, changing professions through education, and involved in a move from one part of the country to another. This blog will also record all the trials and tribulations in my search for a realtor to sell, the communications with the realtor that I've chosen in the new area, and any and all experiences within. I look forward to the feedback.

Basically - a woman's diary - edited for the public and to share my thoughts, feelings and impressions of the world around me.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Whew!


Today, after several weeks, was a return to the gym. I'm not saying that I haven't been working out because I have. I believe I have the largest library of video tapes, dvds and exercise equipment ever sold on television - and believe it or not, some of them are incredibly challenging.

I have the Tae Bo set - that is enough in itself to kick one's large rear end. However, I have two, even more difficult dvds. Jillian Michaels - that tough trainer from "The Biggest Loser" has a series of videos that she released. These are NOT for the novice exerciser. Some are easier than others, but all are incredibly difficult. The other dvd set that I have is actually, or more appropriately entitled a system. It is the PX90. Even my personal trainer (when I had one) said that this was for training the elite athlete. These dvds are incredibly difficult. The system comes with a chin up bar as well. There are supposedly ways in which to do the chin ups and pull ups with assistance, but I haven't figured this out yet. Suffice it to say, I do not use the chin up bar.

However, there are a series of like 14 dvds. Some are more focused on lifting weights (you can use light weights and do more reps so you don't need to purchase an entire set) while others are cardio based, yoga, pilates, etc. Each dvd offers a different kind of exercise. Each one is different and focused on something different. It is a very good system, but you have to be willing to give up 90 minutes of your day in order to succeed with the program.

So - as an unemployed Domestic Goddess, I have the time. Today, however, rather than using my own personal gym quality elliptical or one of the many and varied DVDs that I own, I chose to go to the gym. It has really been a while since I did some serious exercise (before Snowmaggedon on February 10th, 2010 - by the way, I live near Washington, DC). So, today off I went. It was awesome. 30 minutes of warm up on the treadmill (this included running at level/speed 5 on an interval basis - 60 seconds of walking then 90 seconds of running - this can seriously kick one's butt) then downstairs to the weight area.

I did my squats, my leg extensions, my hamstring pulls, then on to the upper body and back. Curls, triceps, chest, back and shoulders (I hate shrugs with ever fiber of my being, but my shoulders look AWESOME!). All of this took about 45 minutes. Then back upstairs to stretch and do a good abdominal workout (crunches baby) as well as my physical therapy exercises to keep my hip flexor in place. Once all of that was done, I determined I needed to do a wee bit more.

So - off to the elliptical where I did 45 minutes to Lady Gaga. First, let me just say that her album "the Fame Monster" rocks. Some of the beats on this are fast, some are slower, but each one offers something awesome. My favorite song is "Teeth" - it's sexy, the beat is something akin to that commercial with Charlise Theron for Tresor by Lancome. I mean, it's steady, it's heavy and if you up the resistance on your machine to about 15 it's a butt burning workout for about 4 minutes. Totally rocks. The rest of the album is just as good, but that song I can really up the resistance and push myself - something about it...

So - now that I've explained my atavistic self - I'm moved by music - let me say that I am soooo glad that they have a juice bar at the gym. I got a strawberry, banana with some powdered protein thrown in. It perked me right up! And it was seriously yummy! It's always good to have a little snack after a hard workout for recovery purposes.

Upon my return home, I took the dog for a walk - 1 mile today - I was pooped. Then a shower. After a light lunch of tomato caprese (mozzerella cheese and roma tomatoes sliced and lightly covered with olive oil, balsamic vinegrette and fresh ground black pepper) it was time to take a nap, from which I've just awakened - lazy, I know. I don't often indulge, but today it was necessary. See, Luna, my italian greyhound burrowed under the covers while I was showering, and upon my completion of lunch, well, I just joined her. It felt really good.

Now, I'm off to pick up my 10-year old son. Tonight is his first practice for Spring Baseball. I've got to get him a heavy snack so he's not starving before practice (probably leftovers from last night would be a good option - salmon and saffron rice with some veggies). If he's still hungry after practice, we'll think of something for the child to eat. He's going through a growth spurt right now and is pretty much eating us out of house and home.

This is the first time in a few years that Zac has played baseball. He really enjoys it and is very athletically talented. It wasn't always this way, but baseball usually brings out a better parent than football. Football parents are mean, cliquish and blood thirsty. While I'm all for pushing the boys, I don't enjoy the backstabbing that goes on behind the scenes, so am glad that this is not going on right now.

Upon our relocation (I'll talk more about this in a later post) - Zac will do a different league of football. He will be a part of the Pop Warner league. This league is more academically supportive as well as respect driven. Also, where we're moving, I am hopeful that the folks who are a part of the league are more open to involving parents rather than being cliquish and closed. I hate that. I didn't like it in high school and have zero tolerance for it as an adult.

So, it's baseball. Hubby and child have been hitting the batting cages, playing catch and working on sprints to up speed for rounding the bases. Love that!

So - I'm off to pick up my sweet boy child, feed him and prep him for his first practice of the season.

Toodles for now,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment